View Single Post
Old 21st August 2022, 10:42 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks so much guys for getting this rolling!
Rick, I know little on firearms so this is great info for another pistol they likely used.
Fernando, great image of a fully packed legionaire, thank you! Carrying this much stuff must have been tough enough.....but through the desert!!! auughh!

Capn, thanks for joining in, and like you, the 'foreign legion' always rang out in my sojourns into adventure tales of the past. The 'legion' was not actually a mercenary outfit if I understand, but simply a specialized unit of the French army comprised of volunteers from virtually all countries and walks of life. The notions held in popular culture were that a man, regardless of issues he had whether outlaw, bankrupt, or any other element of issue with repute could join, under assumed name etc. and never be questioned. How true that cliche' is remains to be seen, but the idea was, a man could virtually 'disappear'. That was the premise held in the "Beau Geste" genre of 'Legion' stories.

While my interest has thus far been focused on the Legion in the Sahara, they had notable presence elsewhere, such as in Mexico in the 19th c.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote