View Single Post
Old 4th April 2021, 09:18 PM   #37
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
I don't think I'm wrong when I say we are discussing antique iron barrels?? You are discussing modern alloys.
Metal aging applies to modern production methods of alloys usually stainless steels.
Modern processes taken out of context and applied to antique firearms, am I wrong? You be the judge!

As I have zero knowledge or understanding of metallurgy, all of this is extremely enlightening. It sets me to wondering, in most of my exposures to antique firearms, it seems one of the primary interests in them is whether it 'shoots'. As I mentioned on the TV series "Pawn Stars" they are always buying old guns, and seem to almost invariably shoot them.
OK, I know its TV, and they probably dont air the ones that fail or do not get fired.

But I am in Texas, gun country, and old guns abound. I bought an old Winchester (1873) that was in use from the 1880s to the 1980s, a century. It was rough, many repairs, the neck bound with rawhide etc. As I noted, I am not a 'shooter' , but did this one remain serviceable so long due to use rather than neglect? It sure seems like gunmakers in earlier years had pretty good command of what they were doing.
As I mentioned, most of the mishaps seem to derive from ammunition, powder and loading issues, not the metal components.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote