Thread: Newbie question
View Single Post
Old 9th March 2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill005
Hi folks, am Bill and I'm happy to be a member of this amazing forum. Just some few questions.

1.I'm looking to purchase my first Japanese dagger to add up to my collection and have an eye for the Japanese sword tanto, dagger in shirosaya mounting. I need advice if that's a good choice.
Hello Bill,

some detailed pictures of your dagger of interest would be helpful.
Never forget, that you have to add at least 750$ for a new polish, if the old one is worn out.
Study, study, study is a good advise but he problem is, that most books tend to show only top quality stuff. This means you will learn, how a Sajo Owazamono blade looks but nothing about average quality swords. Most of the Nihonto offered in the internet are average or lower quality. High quality nihonto (at least a Owazamono mei) are very rare.

In my opinion the Nihonto-forum ist worth to study.

An in my honest opinion it is really helpful for learning, if you buy a low quality blade full of KizuKitae, Cracks and so on by mistake. After such an experience you will learn what you have to look for.

For basic understanding the Internet is good enough. If you understand the picture I added and if you can sort out the blades correctly, you are an expert.

Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote