View Single Post
Old 7th February 2016, 12:34 PM   #21
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you for input, Jim.
If i follow it correctly ...
Concerning the system of striking the crowned Kings head at every second letter, if we apply a certain (correct?) reading criteria, such is the habit prevailing in the marking my sword ... whoever wished to profit on Wundes charisma.
What i didn't know and have just learnt is that, such mark is carved over the entrance in the house in Johannes Strasse. Having been registered in 1584, this mark was in Peter Wundes possession by 1719, his grandson having sold it in 1774 to Peter Wiersberg.
Concerning blades, i follow your reasoning on the Solingen-Klingenthal route.
Whereas concerning hilts and the Jacobite lead, in my ignorance i am facing a vice versa situation. I have just read, something not knew to you is that, according to Harold L. Peterson (for one?), the basket hilt originated on the Continent, whence it was adopted in England during the Civil War for use by Cavalry, and indeed continued as the Cavalry man’s sword until well into the XVIII century.
Whether the Scots too kit up through contact with Cromwellian horse, or acquired it straight from the Continent, seems uncertain.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote