View Single Post
Old 5th August 2014, 03:07 AM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
There is nothing special about meteorite Iron chemically, its just a lump of Iron-nickel but we must put ourselves in the place of people who's only way to categorize metals or different Irons types was where it came from, its taste, its smell, its color, its texture and its sound.

A good keris is one that is physically well formed, has a good pamor and when struck rings like a bell. Since I am not qualified in this sound Science I cannot say if a keris made from unusual metallic blends inc meteorite, gold,silver,brass etc might be endowed with a quality of vibration that sets it aside as being something special or not.
I don't think we need put ourselves in anybody's place to have an interest or find symbolism in the idea of forging a blade with metals that have fallen from the sky. The interest in such "star metal" is pretty much universal in cultures all around the world. That said though, i have never seen any proof that the use of meteoric ore in the making of keris pamor is anything but a relatively new idea in the long and storied history of the keris. I have found no evidence whatsoever for any recorded meteor falls in Jawa before the Prambanan fall sometime in the late 18th century and with all probability meteorite was not introduced into the forging process for keris until the very early 19th century. So if we conservatively place the beginnings of what we call the "modern" keris at the end of the 14th century we have over 300 years of keris production (and most probably more) where "good" and "mystically powerful" keris that provided important cultural functions were fashioned without the inclusion of meteorite and a few more hundred years before that where proto-keris such as keris buda probably did the same. So while i also think "star metal" is pretty cool stuff to symbolically include in a blade i also believe that the unsubstantiated importance on such metal in the production of "good" or "mystically powerful" keris is a bit of a red herring in the path of better understanding of this iconic cultural object. Far more "good" keris have been made without meteorite than with.
BTW, while i would certainly agree that a "good" keris should have "good" form, i don't think it necessarily need have any pamor at all to still be able to qualify as "good".
David is offline   Reply With Quote