View Single Post
Old 17th May 2021, 05:24 PM   #21
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefidk View Post
Marc, I'll send you a pm and then I can share collection pictures of kaskara, no need to bore everyone else. I remember now that you posted about the Ethiopian kaskara not long ago. Seems like our interests are quite well aligned.
If you can only have three Songye axes then those are very nice ones to pick. Although I have a suspicion that the one in the front is drifting out of Songye. The one striking similarity in these axes is that the shaft shape is very consistent. This changes as e.g. Luba and Tetela variants come in. I'm originally trained as a biologist and this reminds me of the question of speciation - when do we say its species A or B or a sub-species. For these weapons there is so much influence of inter-tribal dynamics and cross-over between types (let alone the scarcity of data on collection), that it seems hard to attribute a rigid classification.

Being a blacksmith I bet means you can make your own stands. I think that adds a nice dimension to be able to create your own display.
Hi Chris
Yes, i'm the one with the kaskara and its alwaya a pleasure to meet a fellow African arms collector. The little ax in front is a tetela with a copper blade.
The variety of blades, handles and engravings among neighbors and even at greater distances is sometimes overwelming and not easy to classify as to what tribe it is. But that is also part of the fun.
I do make my own stands and indeed it gives a great freedom for the presantation of my objects. Looking forward to see your pictures.
Regards
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote