View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 12:51 PM   #9
Mefidk

The next examples I have are a bit more variable and introduce some more forms and decoration.
The first one is a kind of transition piece from the previous set to this new set. It has an iron blade in the form of the others but is smaller 14x10 cm cf 17x15 cm, and the decorative copper on the shaft is more elaborate. This example also has two depressions in the club end of the shaft on both sides which is not present on the previous examples.
The next example is very similar, but now we have a copper blade rather than iron, and only one depression at the end of the shaft. The blade shape is the same.
The third of this group is like the second, but no depression in the shaft, and the blade, although a single piece of copper is shaped differently, reminiscent of the Nsapo axe shapes of the first group.
The fourth example is similar to the others, small completely copper, but this time with a double crescent mark on the blade.
I don’t have an example of the type yet, but as far as I can see Eastern Songye axes usually have a figure 8 decoration on the blade, shaft or both. The crescents and moons appear to be more related to axes that have Nsapo/Songye/Tetala attributions, so there may be some way to distinguish areas based on decoration.

The last two examples copper variants of the axes with heads, and I think from the Nsapo/Songye group, but here I’m really skating on thinner ice. One has a crescent, but both share the similar form of head surrounded by a hatched pattern.

That concludes my Songye axe variant overview from my collection. Of course ,there are many others out there, some really impressive axes and variants of types (e.g. single person ‘holding’ the blade), brass blades and a diversity of forms as we go from Songye to Luba. Having only spent a few months collecting and researching these I still have very many questions and not so many answers, so it would be really great if some of the experienced Congo people have some ideas about how to classify these axes (and corrections where I made errors). Forms and types do seem to be fluid but also it seems to me that there are patterns to be found as well.
Attached Images

Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote