View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 08:17 AM   #8
Mefidk

Thanks guys.
Yes, this is entirely local work, and as I said above the first six are Nsapo made. They were quite famous for this and hence their products were prized and traded widely. The other exmples probably not Nsapo. Although there are examples of this form from the Nsapo the basic type extends over the whole Songye range and into Luba and Tetela at least. I don't think that trade networks were so extensive to service such a large area.

As regards their non-weapon status, axes for sure were not the weapon of choice. But at least in the case of the Zappo Zap, there are accounts of axes being used in raids. The 22 head axe I posted is probably too heavy to use as a weapon, but all the others are sharp and solid. Whilst they may not chop down trees, they would certainly make a mess of an unarmored person if push came to shove.

The next group (and the last, at least of my examples) are certainly not weapons, but are rather nice objects, heavily decorated/made with copper. I'll try to post these later or tomorrow.
Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote