View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 07:12 AM   #5
Mefidk

Thanks Pindang

Here is the next set. These are what I think are the typical Songye axes. In size and shaft form they are very similar to the previous set, but the blades are more traditional in form, strengthened along the upper and lower edge by a T-section.
The three of this form that I have range from the rather utilitarian to standard, but there are examples out there with blades with brass inlaid decoration. These seem by and large usable examples and perhaps have a less ceremonial function than the previous set. Axes with this general form seem to occur over the whole Songye range, but there are variations in the details. Apart from the shafts there is little in common with the Nsapo type with the heads.

Decoration on the blade seems to involve holes, moon-shapes, and a kind of snake or rope-like pattern as on these. Rarely you get an inlaid head. Like the other axes monitor or snake skin or copper are often used to cover the shaft, but these also often turn up with no covering as in the example I have. The bottom of the shaft is usually flared, for some reason at some point the flaring has been removed from mine to leave a widened but rounded end.

I think my third example is snake skin, probably some kind of python (ball?). Light spots on a dark background is not very common.
Attached Images

Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote