View Single Post
Old 5th June 2020, 07:16 PM   #4
efrahjalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
The two notches on the longer one look the same, we discussed tip notching here once before, a number of blades, like that one were deliberately notched. I recall one suggestion was that a horseman might do it to enable him to hook something on the ground. I gather the majority of 'Victorian' repros were rather heavy as that's what they thought, incorrectly, they should be like. Your weights are more in keeping with real ones. If fakes, could be rather good ones.
That's very interesting. I've not heard of that before. Can you point me to the thread you are referring to? I'd like to read some more on the topic.

Norman, thanks for pointing me to that post. It was a very interesting read, and the blade is a beauty!

I have attached a picture of a North Italian sword from the late 15th century that is listed in The Sword Form and Thought (Cat. 17). This sword was mentioned in an interview with Peter Johnson and I was struck by the similarities (no fuller, same guard type, same grip style, same pommel). Yet another book that I really need to get my hands on. I'd love to see more pictures of this very similar sword.
Attached Images

efrahjalt is offline   Reply With Quote