Thread: Barong
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Miguel

Thanks everyone for your replies they are much appreciated.

[I]Indicating the thickness of the blade and whether it is sharp or not, might also help in forming a more educated opinion.

You are quite right Marius and I will rectify this as soon as I am next in my loft. The photos are what I took some time ago when I started to catalogue my collection. I omitted to include the thickness at the time so will have to root it out of its storage box. From memory the blade is robust and sharp.

[I]it's a post WWII barong, it could be worked for local use but also as tourist barong. The clipped point is indead very unusual. Like Marius said, the lamination is a good sign but seems worked very coarse.

Thanks Detlef, your age estimate seems to agree with Marius.

interesting blade shape. Looks similar to the one in Cato's book (pg. 23), but not as graceful. Could it have been done as an afterthought?
4th July 2017 06:18 PM.

Thanks Kino, I don't know whether the clip point was added or not. Will try to get an idea when I root it out.

Etching the blade would certainly be interesting!

Could you please post close-ups of the hilt?

I have never etched a blade yet but I may have a try as a number of my weapons may benefit from it. Regarding the photos I will gladly take some when I have rooted it out.

Thanks again.

Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote