View Single Post
Old 14th September 2020, 08:09 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just an update for those with interest in British cavalry swords and who might be reading here.
Apparently the sword described as 1763 (presumably by comparison to artwork representing the 15th LD with that date as benchmark) was only the officers version with chiseled lion head. The sword offered in the link appears to be 'presumed' to be 15th LD based on an identification of that officers sword of this form. I am not aware of evidence suggesting the 15th LD 'other ranks' actually carried this hilt form from 1763.
The fact that the plain hilt example in the link is similar in form to the lion head officers sword, along with having the 'E' rack number is what is the 'other ranks' suggestion is based on.

Returning to my sword (OP) I had thought that the 1759 contract by Jeffries where he is known to have produced an indeterminate number of swords FOR the new light dragoon regiments (he was also producing basket hilts which were the standard dragoon types of the time).
While I thought this might strongly suggest the link to 15th LD, formed that year, it appears there were four other regiments of light dragoons as well.

Just as in 1780, the use of the 'flat D' (stirrup hilt) swords as evidenced by straight blade examples with 'Kings Light Dragoons' (15th LD) on a couple of them, does not signify that there was an exclusive use of these to the 15th either.

While the distinct clipped point, virtually straight blades seem to have been favored to the 15th, we can only presume this was plausibly a favored type blade t o the light dragoon units of 1759-1780s.

I thought I would add this as noted pending further research.
Wayne and Will, thank you again for the supportive entries, and to those reading, thank you for your interest.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote