View Single Post
Old 11th May 2020, 06:05 PM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
I had threats that it must be returned to the PI or I would be harmed.
This is pretty hardcore illegal stuff Bill. I do hope you have taken steps to protect yourself as well as this dagger. You should be sure to report as much as possible about the person or people who have threatened you including any contact information you might have on them.
While i do indeed agree that this dagger is a historical piece that would be well served by a spot in a museum, the actual circumstances of its original acquisition need to be further investigated. Was this taken from General Leandro Fullon or was it gifted to the ancestor General of your good friend? While Fullon at first fought against the invading American forces he was eventually appointed as part of their established government.
"After the civil government was organized by the American regime, he was appointed Provincial Governor of Antique on April 15, 1901, a post that he held until his death in Oct. 16, 1904."
If this was a case of a weapon taken by force from this prominent Filipino General perhaps it does indeed belong either with Fullon's descendants or in a Filipino museum as it is part of their history. But if it was a gift to the American General from him then it has become part of that person's history and was the rightful property of you old friend to do as he saw fit to do with it. I might suggest you question your old friend more on these questions if possible and see if you can establish some timeline for all this.
David is offline   Reply With Quote