View Single Post
Old 21st January 2017, 08:03 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually it is good to question our resources, and I like the notion of pursuing it together. So while you check further so will I, and it would be great if others out there might add their views and findings if they choose to join. I don't think anyone I know has the exposure to resources on Indian history that Jens has thoroughly perused through the many years Ive known him.
Meanwhile, might I know the source of the quote you cite on the paucity of material on Indian weapons c. 1855? I do not doubt that being the case, as in Great Britain's conquest and occupation of Indian regions with the advent of the East India Co., it seems the weapons were perceived more as curiosities and not seriously studied nor catalogued prior to Egerton's work.

Apparantly, according to the reference from Egerton's book, this was intended to be a catalog for collections at the museum at South Kensington.
It seems that some of the other subsequent references like Hendley, the items were observed at durbars and other major events in India.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote