View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:51 PM   #32
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinde
Hi Ariel,

Thanks for reply. I basic terms I was aware of the fact that the surface of the blade must be etched to reveal the grain structure however, the main thrust of my question was in relation to how the blade should be prepared for etching, and what chemicals or agents should be used to etch the metal.

Gordon
These are good questions, and a forum search will probably show at least several threads that explain the materials and the process. For someone like me, who has no advanced knowledge of chemistry, the following have worked:
- Clean the blade with soap and water and dry it out, then clean it again with alcohol to remove any residue of dirt, wax, oil or whatever may have been applied to it in the past;
- Dilute wine vinegar in warm water in 1:4 ratio of vinegar to water;
- Use the mild acid to dip the blade into and leave for half an hour, then check for a pattern, or, if the blade is too long and you do not have an appropriate size container, rub in the acid and see if a pattern starts to appear.

There are other acids, which would probably produce better results, but vinegar is easy to obtain and not really dangerous (no toxic fumes and if you get it on yourself, you won't be harmed), which is why I have opted for it.

Sincerely,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote