View Single Post
Old 31st December 2023, 04:30 PM   #1
cel7

Default Dutch hussar saber

On the last day of 2023 I would like to show you my latest acquisition and ask a question about the manufacturer of the blade.
I bought this last month, not far from me, from a family where someone had passed away. They had no idea how the saber came into their possession, but it hung in their father's office for as long as they knew.
It is the right saber in the first photo. I believe it is a hussar saber for an officer. In the Dutch army and weapons museum they have some almost identical copies. These are referred to as Dutch sabers from the Batavian Republic or the Kingdom of Holland (1795-1806).
Because this one comes from a Dutch family, I assume that it also belonged to a Dutch officer.
Unlike the left example, this one has been ground and is still reasonably sharp. Something that is not self-evident for an officer's saber.
What I would like to know is who the manufacturer is? This could possibly narrow down the time period somewhat. The saber has the Solinger rose on the back and is marked on the ricasso. The problem, however, is that this is not completely visible due to the langet. What I can read is that it says "S & . Followed by several letters that, unfortunately, I can't make sense of.
Who can shed some light on this?

All that remains for me is to wish everyone a great 2024 with many beautiful old weapons.
Attached Images

cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote