View Single Post
Old 27th December 2023, 06:07 AM   #20
Gavin Nugent

Thanks for the confirmation Xasterix.

I've nice long Panabas here that has suffered a similar fate through deflection in a previous life. One of the same type you previously presented in your test cut videos. I've made no attempt to rectify it though, something for the future custodian to fix if desired.

I find it interesting that the Panabas relies on strapping/binding friction, sometimes combined with resin to retain a blade, whilst the kampilan has the added security of pins, be they exposed or hidden. I've yet to have a Kampilan blade come to me with a loose blade, but many Panabas I've had and handled, you wouldn't swing them without new bindings and resin because so many had blades that could be pulled from the handle with little effort. It is one weapon from the region that would benefit greatly in having pins, but perhaps drilling narrow grips only weaken the hilts?

Other sword types from other regions I've seen bend 90 degrees from incorrect cutting approach angles, lesser types fractured or broken. Overall the Philippine weapons are some of the most robust examples in the edged weapons world.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote