View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Teodor,
This is what I would consider a classic example of kaskara (and thank you for noting the correct term sa'if, as discussed for years from Darfur. It seems one of the key identifiers of Darfur examples is the raised cross at the juncture of quillons and langets, seen in examples in "Kaskara from Northern Darfur, Sudan" (Graham Reed, JAAS, Vol. XII, #3, March 1987). In example LII, an example with this distinct cross on the guard, and the blade has a similar central fuller, with the 'running wolf' with it noted that it is likely German trade blade of 18th century. I think your example may well be one of the Solingen blades but not sure if that early, and although even the German interpretations of the wolf are primitive looking, these seem shallower and possibly native added.

The interesting inscribing on the opposite side of the blade is not likely to represent writing of any kind, but seems to correspond with the almost runic, stick type characters often seen in the figures used as camel brands in these regions (see works by H.A.MacMichael on the Sudan and Kordofan in 1913 and 1922). I cannot say what these groupings of symbolic figures would signify, but simply supports native application, and seems contemporary with the wolf marking.

The hilt is of course missing the disc pommel, and the wood grip is covered as noted, with animal hide, most likely goat. In Reed (op.cit. p.168) it is mentioned that scabbards were often of goat skin stained red or brown. On most of the Darfur hilts I have seen they typically have some element of crocodile hide, but since goat hide was so prevalently used, it seems that it would not be unlikely to have had the grip covered in this material.

The kaskara remains a prominant symbol of prestige among the Fur in Darfur, and it is not surprising to see these refurbished many times through the years. This blade has some potential with what appears to be distinct aging under the langet, and seems to have been cleaned with components intact.
It is quite possible for this to be a native forged blade, but has strong possibility it may be German trade of 19th century.

Congratulations Teodor! Well done for your first example!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote