View Single Post
Old 13th January 2017, 06:42 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Ottoman Powder Flask

Hello all.

Here is a new member to my collection. Most research I've seen refer to this style of flask as Ottoman - generically. Although I have another one, the same style, that came with an Afghan belt. But not in as good as condition as this one. I've seen enough of this style of flask over the years to conclude that it must have been popular in many areas. The wood body is covered in leather, with an sheet iron spout attached, and a simple wood slide to open/close the flask. The interesting feature of these flasks is that the spout is intentionally mounted at an angle - pointing away from the torso while suspended from a belt. Everyone of these I've seen is made almost identical. And I'm sure more than a few members have also seen these over the years at auctions, etc.

I thought I would post this one since it is in such good condition. No cracks in the wood body, no tears in the leather, spount firmly attached with no bends or kinks, all the stiching tight and complete. The flask is in working order. Even the slide is still firm. And a nice patina. Hard to find these in this condition. Thanks for looking.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote