View Single Post
Old 19th February 2021, 07:06 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvieira
I have hope that is not the case! there are important and technical aspects in the swords, i dont think a artist were able to recriate by himself!

I would be inclined to agree with you on this, but it is not the case of inability to recreate details of certain personal weapons in portraiture of those times, but the insistence of the artist to be faithful to detail. Just as he was notably faithful to the likeness of the subject, so too were they to their weapon, as these were very personal and often represented key preference and sometimes even tradition or symbolism (note the motif in the pommels).
Note the indelibly detailed weapons, even of other periods, included in the 'historic or period' paintings by various artists faithfully recreated. As Fernando well notes, there are many examples of this, with Durer and Rembrandt instantly coming to mind.

The late AVB Norman chose to more accurately establish categoric identification for European hilts of these times based on their inclusion in portraits of certain persons of the time. He chose this venue as the portrait was typically of the detail mentioned and quite personal. The subject would of course approve the painting they had commissioned and I cannot imagine they would find the addition of a spurious weapon acceptable. Obviously the life spans of the subject and artist set the date range of the work, and of course the weapon.

The exception would be, portraits or images of someone from earlier time being painted in tribute. As far as I know, the works consulted by Norman typically were not in this character, though he does mention a number of 'historic' paintings. In this case, the artist would indeed presume placing the weapons of the current period most likely.
One more note on 'tribute' portraiture, these would quite likely be commissioned by relatives or heirs, or perhaps organizations or groups to which they were associated. In this case there is the possibility, however tenuous, that a weapon that had belonged to the passed figure might be available.

Please forgive my long dissertation here, but this is a fascinating topic which I studied in degree some years ago, in fact even had wonderful contact with Mr. Norman, who graciously shared his views in our discussion. It has been a very long time since on the topic, and I truly hope we might find one or all of these depicted swords somewhere.

Excellent topic!!! Thank you Bruno!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote