View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:30 PM   #1
shayde78

Default Arms and Armor in the works of Albrecht Dürer

Here is another project I’ve been working on. Albrecht Dürer is one of the illustrators of the Guttenberg Chronicle (to view the thread on that work, see here - http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26105) that contributed his talents to some of the woodblocks used in that work. To be fair, he was likely an apprentice at that point, but some of his later skills were starting to emerge. Also, wood block printing doesn't allow the same level of detail as engravings.

Dürer lived from 1471 – 1528, and truly gained prominence in the mid-1490s, spending time in Germany (the country of his birth) as well as Italy. He was a master in multiple media. However, being a sound pragmatist, he preferred engravings because he could work on a single piece, have several printings commissioned, and the investment of his talents would continue to pay dividends. Compared to working on a single painting for a single commission, he recognized how much more efficient engraving and printing would be. I find this fortunate, because the detail he was able to achieve in his engravings make them a valuable resource for studying Europe in the late 15th, early 16th centuries.
As it relates to the subject matter of arms and armor, Dürer was more than simply a casual observer. His engravings reveal a clear familiarity with and understanding of the tools of the warfare of his day. If further evidence is needed, illustrations he prepared for a Fechtbuch survive showing he understood the use of arms, not just their aesthetic qualities. Additionally, Dürer authored a treatise on the design of fortifications, demonstrating the level of thought he applied to these matters.
So, to serve as a reference for members of this forum, I went through Walter . Strauss’ “The Complete Engravings, Etchings, and Drypoints of Albrecht Dürer” from 1973. From this volume, I identified the works that include representations of armor, swords, knives, arrows/bolt, pole arms, etc. These show not only the details of the arms themselves, but also how they were carried, the accessories like belts, sheaths, saddle rings, and the like. I have tried to post these images in chronological order in which Dürer completed them so that they can be fixed in their corresponding time. I will also try to include only a single picture per post so that they can be easily referenced for discussion. I mention the book I used as reference, because I have subsequently found other works not included in this text. After I have posted, if other wish to add to this thread additional works they can attribute to this specific artist, feel free to do so.

I hope this information is useful, and as I’ve said in similar threads, this is my way to contribute to and repay the generous sharing of expertise that members of this forum have demonstrated over the years.

To kick off, a piece titled, "Five Lansquents and an Oriental* on Horseback" from 1495.

*I use the title of the work, acknowledging that the use of the word 'Oriental' to describe a person is offensive.
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote