View Single Post
Old 1st November 2010, 12:17 AM   #16
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

I have no wish to enter into debate on this, so I'll simply end this matter (as far as I'm concerned) with my opinion on a couple of points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
..... still, the handguard and blade are based on the dutch dutch Cavalrieswords Model 1846 and 1875......
Here we differ Willem. I believe the Kalewang handguard to be a direct copy of the Dutch Cavalry Officer's Sabre M1876 minus the irritating protrusion. I acknowledge that the hilts of the M1846 & M1875 were used on earlier locally-produced blades (you, may call them Proto-Klewangs), but I think that these hilts had 'wire' guards, not sheet-metal with cut-outs.

Quote:
.....The square corners are IMO typical of the dutch factory produced Hembrug examples.....
Here we may differ again.... While 'square corners' may be typical of Hembrug, I believe both Lilley-Ames and Vince also produced guards with 'square corners' for the 1941 KNIL contract.

Quote:
.....a nice book on the militairy Klewang by Mr. J.P.. Puype.....
As you seem fond of referring to Mr. Puype, may I suggest that you perhaps 're-visit' him and/or his book.
Should you then feel that you may have incontrovertible evidence that I am in error, please let me know and I will be only too glad to make any appropriate adjustment.

Otherwise..... we will have to agree to disagree..

Best,

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 1st November 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote