View Single Post
Old 26th July 2022, 02:41 PM   #14
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
The upper ones are generic knives., identical blades are seen on Khazar, Celtic, Varangian ( Norsemen, Viking, Norman, - choose your poison:-). What part of Russia did they come from, BTW?
Identical blades... Ok. The handle, as I understand it, was borrowed from the European rondel dagger, and some differences do not count?

Quote:
Yes, this is my knife: F. Smagin + location but I can't find my loupe and the letters are small. 20th century. Bought it for a pittance, just to re-sell it to some Russian collector, to raise the intensity of his patriotic fervor. Want it?
Very strange. On that forum you were told that the knife is a very common fake. No, thanks. I'm not patriotic so much.

Quote:
Sabers are generic European, nothing specific. I shall take your word they were manufactured in Russia after Oriental /European models, just like all Russian sabers. The upper one is often characterized as " Hungarian magnate". The remaining two have Russian ( likely) gold work, but the construction is generic. All of your examples are from 18-19 century, when Russia copied European sabers. Has it suddenly invented anything original at that time?
1618 and first half of the 17th century. Both sabers were made in the Kremlin Armory. Now it is a museum, and since the 16th century it has been an armory workshop of the Moscow Kremlin.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mercenary; 26th July 2022 at 02:58 PM.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote