View Single Post
Old 25th July 2022, 08:22 PM   #13
ariel

The upper ones are generic knives., identical blades are seen on Khazar, Celtic, Varangian ( Norsemen, Viking, Norman, - choose your poison:-). What part of Russia did they come from, BTW?

Yes, this is my knife: F. Smagin + location but I can't find my loupe and the letters are small. 20th century. Bought it for a pittance, just to re-sell it to some Russian collector, to raise the intensity of his patriotic fervor. Want it?

Sabers are generic European, nothing specific. I shall take your word they were manufactured in Russia after Oriental /European models, just like all Russian sabers. The upper one is often characterized as " Hungarian magnate". The remaining two have Russian ( likely) gold work, but the construction is generic. All of your examples are from 18-19 century, when Russia copied European sabers. Has it suddenly invented anything original at that time?

Length does not count because hunting weapons ( Hirschfangers etc. had longer blades). BTW, I cited published examples of Oriental predecessors of " Russian" weapons. You might look at them.

Nobody regards cards as genuine, traditional, Indian weapons. They were brought there from Persia. The land of their manufacture did vary and is determined by their decorative elements. You might start looking for a Russian weapon as specific for Russia as Turkish Kilij/Pala for Mamluks/Turkey, Indonesian and Philippine weapons, Nepalese Kukri, Turkish Yataghan, Flissa, Kastane, Omani Kattara and its " fighting sword", Philippine weapons, Chilean Corvo, Indian Patissa and Khanda, and even scores of Sub-Saharan tribal , etc, etc. Just to simplify it for you: show me a bladed weapon that is attributable to Russia just by a quick glance. Do not pay attention to gold decorations of the blade: Tula was very artistic.

The only "Russian" bladed weapon I know is their dragoon saber that was appropriated together with its name from the Caucasus ( shashka) and given a European D-guard to boot.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote