Thread: Persian KILIJ
View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2021, 02:27 AM   #6
ariel

There are Ottoman swords mixing Ottoman handle/ crossguard with Persian or Persian -style blade. Ottoman called them Kilij Adjemi : Persian Kilij.
Thus, I would not be surprised to encounter an Ottoman blade with a Persian ( or Persian -style) handle. As a matter of fact, we see them quite often as likely tourist examples of Qajar swords.

Here things are a bit more complicated: the blade and the stiching are Ottoman, but the only almost certain Persian component is the crossguard. The handle itself is a free fantasy of the Ottoman style. Even worse, Marius’ comments raise doubts about its historical authenticity ( I join him here): the drawer knobs make my antennae twitching:-)

To remove the rust gently, without damaging koftgari, buy a jar of Renaissance metal de-corroder from University “something” ( half price vs. the British source).
Get a brush, smear the goo all over the blade, wrap it tightly in Saran Wrap or a similar stuff, secure the wrap with a tape and leave it for 5-7 days. After thar wash it under stream of water scrubbing it energetically with some soft towel .
All active rust will go away together with some dark spots.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote