View Single Post
Old 27th January 2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems most entries I find for Stephen Wallis have the lock engraved with his initial and name in script lettering, while this example is in block letters. What might be the significance there. It is also noted his shops were at Vauxhall Road in Birmingham.

Good note on the '&sons' after 1827 and until ending in 1833.

In one set of flintlock box lock pistols I see the overall sectioned style of the lock plate c.1820 has this design with the upper and lower sections having a flared end and the central (with name) simply a rectangular shape. This seems almost characteristic of the Wallis locks, at least in examples I found.

Regarding the 'Waters patent' pistols, gunmaker John Waters was granted patent #1824 on 9 Mar 1781, for this means of attaching bayonets to pistols.
The style of the pistol is the same seen here with Mark's example.
So it seems the 'style' was around since at least then , with the blunderbuss barrel and general appearance.

The earliest 'record' of Stephen Wallis 'officially' was in 1807, but this does not mean that was the earliest date he produced a pistol. He was likely apprenticed prior to that, so it would be interesting to discover more on his personal history.

With the Waters patent in 1781, and Stephen Wallis beginning 'recorded' work' in 1807, I would suggest that perhaps this is an early example with its unusual block letter name style.
The pistol style itself appears to have been in use well into the 19th century and favored by naval officers. This seems understandable with the blunderbuss barrel which seems favorable for close quarters matters as well as the bayonet for use after shot expended,

Other such 'bladed' pistols were also proposed for similar naval use, such as the curious 'Elgin cutlass pistol', though not sure if these were ever largely produced or used.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote