View Single Post
Old 1st October 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Nice Old Katar With a Little Restoration

I just bought this katar last weekend, and the seller and I both agreed it could use a little work to look better, but it clearly had a very good, old wootz blade of very high contrast, and just short of being a ladder pattern. Much of the silver had tarnished black as had the scabbard fittings. The scabbard's fabric had dry rotted and was hanging on in tatters.

Not a terrible amount of work was involved in revealing more of the floral silver work.

The scabbard was a different story....and was a lot of work to build up the areas of broken wood and recover it. I still need to let the velvet fade a little for a more natural appearance. A polish revealed gorgeous silver fittings. I especially like the heads up peacocks that line the top of the chape.

I believe this katar to be at least early 19th century and perhaps older. I am anxious to hear what others think about its age. The blade looks custom made for it and is not a blade from a broken sword or a foreign blade.

Sorry I didn't take a "before" pic, but believe me, this is an improvement over its original look!
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 1st October 2013 at 09:30 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote