View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Will, I had not discerned that, which is again, odd as these blade fixtures become rather integral with scabbard. I know some British swords likely had these slotted scabbard openings for extremely parabolic blades in the manner of these Ottoman shamshirs (not the pala but with thin radiused Persian type blades) which I have (not avail right now) and appears late 18th-early 19th.

I note as well the rather mechanical 'markings' approximating the 'X's on Solingen blades often seen, but usually dispersed with inscriptions or names, and what appear to suggest 'sickle marks'. A lot of work went into this and actually quite attractive interpretation of a 'hussar' saber.
Again, it seems there have been these kinds of sabers in either Swedish, Danish or Dutch contexts, but comprehensive catalogs of their forms are both hard to find and typically incomplete.

Good call on the Arab (or Middle East) gestalt, and British officers often seem to have commissioned various features of swords of these cultures to be incorporated with established British ones (sort of East meets West).

The presence of pronounced 'yelman' on 1796 period officers sabers, and tulwar hilts on British blades is well known.

The Ottomans had a saber with the familiar pistol grip hilt with distinctly European knuckle guard added.

Good to know guys are reading this, hope maybe somebody out there has seen something similar.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 23rd September 2020 at 08:05 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote