View Single Post
Old 18th September 2020, 09:59 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
G'day Will,
I don't know. I am just speculating that these swords with the ring attachment may be later, as this type of sword seems to have been in use during the American war of independence.

Jim,
The similar sword is for sale somewhere in the US. It is described as a revolutionary war dragoon sword. That article suggests that the "Potter" swords were based on British swords and also that some of the British forces were using "Potter" swords as well, so it wouldn't be surprising that you found your sword in London. Can you have a look at your sword to see if it has a Potter stamp?
Cheers,
Bryce

Thanks Bryce, apparently James Potter of New York City was a loyalist and making these swords for the British cavalry assigned in America. The swords were extremely favored and acquired by a number of the Patriot forces.
The term POTTER sword became sort of a standard.
I wish I could see the blade but the pitting is profuse overall unfortunately.
Potter began in 1778 and ceased in 1781 when he removed to Nova Scotia.
This material I found last night after digging through all the references I could find.

I think the type of ring attachment on my sword is more in line with those on basket hilts of c. 1750s including certain other dragoon sword types. It is most curious to see this type pommel ring with the tall olive pommel and four slot guard which seem more toward 1770.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote