View Single Post
Old 25th July 2020, 09:37 PM   #13
AUhills79

Really exciting to find out it's so much older than I thought! Even though it's not in it's original form that's part of it's history and the fact that the blade and inscriptions are probably around 400 years old is fascinating. It only weighs 13 ounces, fits in the right hand perfectly, has a sharp edge, and is super comfortable to handle but it has too much history and too nice of a patina to take it out hunting & camping like I originally planned. I think I will find another antique hunting knife to carry and keep this one preserved as is. Glad I posted on here before I started using it in the woods!

Thanks to your comments I've been googling "Backsword made in Solingen" and found this example with an almost identical double fuller blade. This one was made in the mid 16th century and re-hilted in it's current form in 1620-1640. It's a horseman's backsword with a 38 inch long blade! Mine likely looked very similar originally. (Pictures attached, I think it's ok to post pics and link since it's already been sold)

Source:
https://www.antique-swords.com/H21-1...Backsword.html

Some quick research shows there appears to be little variation in-between the double fullers on backswords made in Solingen during the 16th-17th century's. Maybe the maker's mark on mine will help narrow it down to a more exact date but right now it looks like the earliest it could have been forged is during the mid-16th, latest is mid-late 17th century. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Attached Images

AUhills79 is offline   Reply With Quote