View Single Post
Old 7th September 2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
Thanks guys for the responses so far. The background I was holding a bit pending some discussion was the oral provenance of this item. The person I picked this up from stated he purchased this belt, along with a few other items I ended up with, from a Tibetan monestary. It does not follow any known example of Tibetan belt work and I tend to agree with the suggestion it could be from surrounding regions. I think India is a real possibility. In the book Tibetan arms and armour you see Tibetan monestaries with many tulwars mounted on the walls. Certainly they have picked up over the centuries many arms from neighboring countries. The fact it was found in Tibet in the 1970's adds to the story a bit but one can certainly understand how it ended up there.
Salaams RSWORD ...I was following up a lead on Tibet....and I see you are also looking in that direction...It is interesting as I have seen the small floral shaped designs before on Portuguese Chests non of which I have left so no one would believe me...ha!

I present this single bit of evidence I stumbled upon today...of a Tibetan box.
A close resemblance to the main clasp style. see https://www.etsy.com/market/buddhist_hindu where it is advertised as a good fortune box ~ Chinese Buddhist Hindu ...which you could ascribe to Tibet.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 7th September 2015 at 07:44 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote