View Single Post
Old 25th August 2022, 06:44 PM   #43
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Exactly what I have been hoping for, analysis of the bayonets used by the Foreign Legion in Algeria in 1867-85, as per my views on the fictional setting for "Beau Geste" (publ.1924-26).
As I cited in the concurrent thread on European, on p. 20 of the novel,
"...lay the Commandant, and through his heart, a bayonet, one of our long, thin French SWORD BAYONETS with its single curved hilt".

In descriptions of the M1874 Gras bayonet, it is described as the last of the French SWORD BAYONETS, and was in use 1874 through c. 1889. (the preceding chassepot was a yataghan blade type sword bayonet).

While I am unsure of whether the Lebel was used in North Africa in the period suggested, it is well established the Gras 1874 was. The Lebel bayonet is termed of 'epee' type as the blade is of the section for thrusting as used in the epee of dueling style.

P.C.Wren was a vividly descriptive writer, and as a military man, seems to have a good command of military dialogue. While British, there are some ideas he may have at some point actually served in the Legion, but that is unconfirmed. In any case he did spend some time in North Africa.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote