View Single Post
Old 4th April 2017, 04:22 PM   #38
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Just an observation that krisses picit shown by Gardner on pics 27.6, 27.7, 28.1, and 39.4 are not sajen type and he makes a clear distinction between the 2 types IMO.
Regards
You are correct that 27. 6 appears to be a keris picit (from his words since the photo does not reveal the picit) with a broken off hole at the end of the pesi. I am not so sure about 27.7 (again due to the bad photos. The pesi gets strangely fat at the end making me wonder if it is not a slimmer version of a figurative integral handle. Not all keris sajen have the more developed integral hilts. I borrowed this one from Alan's site and he has a few more like it. Both 27.7 and 28.1 might very well be this style of keris sajen.
Thanks for pointing out the keris picit in 39.4. I wasn't looking that much further into the book given the section on picit came earlier. It does have a Jawa Demam hilt, but again, given the unfortunate photos it is impossible to determine if the blade is truly Malay or if it's origins are also in Jawa. Certainly many Javanese blades found their way beyond Jawa.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote