View Single Post
Old 24th August 2023, 03:36 PM   #27
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Gentlemen,

Let me offer an analogy from a completely different and modern perspective. In Australia we no longer manufacture automobiles, pickups, or trucks. However, we do assemble vehicles from parts imported from overseas. Until recently, we had a venerable old Australian car company called Holden. For the last 20 years or so it has imported parts from Japanese manufacturers and assembled the vehicles in Australia, and branded them as Holdens, and therefore Australian vehicles (not Japanese). However, some of those same Japanese carmakers exported fully assembled vehicles to Australia and sold them here under their own brand name. Exactly the same vehicles but two different companies, one Australian and one Japanese.

Elsewhere, local assembly outside the country of origin can add certain "preferred local options," and might even create its own industry to manufacture a new version, imitating the original and eventually achieving comparable quality. In time the original form becomes rebranded as a local product.

It happens a lot. Can we not have the same scenario with swords?

Whatever designation is given depends on who is talking. Australian/Japanese? Turkish/Armenian?

If an Armenian insists his yataghan is an Armenian sword, I'm not going to argue with him. It's his sword. So I'm happy to say that an Armenian adaptation of an Ottoman yataghan or kilij is an Armenian sword when it has been made or assembled in Armenia and used by an Armenian. Just as I'm happy to drive my Australian Holden Colorado pick-up that was assembled in Australia.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote