View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2009, 05:48 AM   #15
Jambu

Default Nice Dagger set, very interesting forms

New Member here,

Thanks for posting this nice set of daggers employing the various blade styles. I hope to assemble such a collection soon, as well as other examples of Beja Arms and Armour. I have a dagger with the curved blade style but it seems newer than yours.

The handle is made from African Blackwood or Mpingo, which is one of the most sought after materials for knife handles and possibly the most expensive wood in the world. A Beja man divulged to me that a block of this wood is also used for sharpening or 'whetting' the blades of these daggers and the 'Kaskara' or S'aif also.

As an aside, I have so far managed to collect the dagger,4 Kaskara, a throwing stick, a Beja Knobkerrie and a shield. Now I need some spears and the other styles of dagger.

The shield is very old and was filthy and caked in grime when I acquired it. After I cleaned it up I found that it has a strange texture and greenish color. It is extremely thick, heavy, and hard as stone. Has a few patches on it of reptile skin. Now I see why Kipling referred to " 'is coffin-'eaded shield "(Coffinhead means large, ungainly head, and used to describe horses).

Here are some pics of the dagger and shield...
Attached Images

Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote