View Single Post
Old 12th April 2020, 03:55 AM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel H
Thank you, I was thinking that the script had something of a European look, I've added another picture. The barrel flares slightly toward the muzzle it is round with a flat portion on the top running the full length.
Due to tightness of the brass bands and the fragility of the wood I've decided That I will carry out some sympathetic restoration without the need to separate it.
Mel.
Hi Mel,
Nice looking gun and in good condition too! What you have is called a Mukahla and is from the Tetuan North Coastal region of Morocco.
IF you do want to remove the barrel, you may find it is not as hard as you think. Possibly you can get the bands on the move (gently tap towards the muzzle using a wooden wedge). Make sure you mark each band as to where it came from and the DIRECTION it came off the barrel. It is quite possible that one of the bands is hiding a join in the wood, which is quite common with these long barrels. Anyway you would be a better judge as to the necessity of removing the bands. Certainly a light rub over with very fine steel wool would bring up the brass bands and the barrel, without removing the patina.
Also what are those white spots along the top of the barrel?
Awaiting the final result.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote