View Single Post
Old 25th March 2024, 03:27 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hudson,
Which is a very entertaining view by Matt Easton who compares two Spadroons of the Napolionic period and talks about sword design of this form in the context of 1796 ...What I found interesting was the style of Ivory hilt on one pattern being compared which esentially parallels in the hilt to the first sword I show on this thread (see post 5 above.) ... and which is by John Gill...that also includes his catchphrase [B
Warranted Never to Fail[/B]...I thought to include his debate on the pros and cons of each as relevant to the Gill form. Thus members may look this up ...
Regards, Peter Hudson.
Thank you Peter!
These 'spadroons' are typically I think considered a 'pattern' of 1786 (unofficially) and were popular infantry officers swords which also became well known in naval contexts as well. Part of the unique hilt decoration included 'five spheres' giving the collectors rendition 'five ball or bead hilt) though there were of course variations.

I personally had not known of examples of these with blades by Thomas Gill so seeing one with said blade is interesting for me , though I am certain not to specialized collectors.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote