View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Detlef, I have done this repair on hilts more times than I can remember, mostly keris hilts, but also a couple of rencongs and more than a few assorted knives. I have also done similar repairs on statuary and furniture.

It does require care, and it does require precision.

If the alignment of the pins is out by a few thousandths of an inch you simply enlarge the hole a little and fill with the adhesive, which when set is at least as strong as most hilt materials. A small misalignment can be hidden by recarve and stain.

Superglue will work, and superglue is what would be used in Indonesia --- well, not super glue exactly, but a similar product called Alteco. The problem with super glue is that it dries out after a few years and the joint comes adrift. If all you want to do is to recycle something on ebay, or sell out of a warung in some market in Jawa you use super glue. If you want a joint with integrity that will outlast you , you do a tradesman like job.

Hello Alan,

yes, I have done similar repairs in the same way you have described but have seen repairs which was done unprofessional and I have had a lot of work to open the break again to restore it in a better way. When someone is unused by repairs like this there is a big risk that the repair look ugly so my suggestion to use superglue. But I wasn't aware that the superglue dries out and the joint will come adrift. Anyway, agree complete with you, the way of repair you have described is the professional way.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote