View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:41 PM   #26
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks for the comments gents

Thanks for the comments gents,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
The blade seems to be well made and could be a blade from early part of the 20th century. Below is a quality blade that I thought was 19th century but turned out to be circa 1920-30. So older blade married to a more recent furniture.

Lew
Thanks Lew, I agree with what has been said about an older blade being married with newer furniture for my piece and albeit in the tradition of the masters of old but without the exicution of their skills, and did guess that too when held side by side of the other I had here. What I wished to acheive was not to have it met with statements of it being an old antique, what I was hoping for was apart from obvious physical flaws, those who know state more thoroughly reasons why. All the toing and froing aside, I would like to know more about that blade shapes. The picture you provided Lew is a good point for comparison for me. Etchings aside, the fuller arrangement seems to be the exact offset as the ones pictured in mine, but you will notice the tip of mine is a nastier, almost recurve double edge with a long needle point. Does this denote and particular time in history or region of manufacture?
Thank you too Daniel for pointing out the first hand views and feel from you contact with this piece, appreciated.
On another note chaps, from what surfing I have done I understand Isa Askhabov is contactable through email via a website, can anyone here porovide his contact details to save me digging further and possibly doing language translations. PM me if you can.

best regards

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote