View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 04:21 AM   #20
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Ariel

Hi Ariel,
I totally understand what it is you are conveying, though I make no claims as to value of anything as that only comes into play if one wants to sell and there is another who wants what you have.

I do however think it worthy of exhaustive research on my part and I hope all here can offer up more for me to A/ Get a better understanding of these attractive knives and B/ get a better understanding of this piece through thorough examination of all parts and construction and materials used ie; what types of wood would be found under the handles and in the sheaths, I am sure there are particular species that would be common to the region or origin, what type of methods and material is used to keep all this wood silver and blade together? Mayhap little things like this will help me dismiss any ideas about it being 1880-1920.

I know Chris Evans has offered up many llinks to the craft of making Navaja, is there anything similar that can be read about the Kindjal?

Ariel, could you explain the different styles found under this umbrella of knife in Caucasian origin as to give me and others a better understanding of design and what that design represents as far as practical weapons go ie, sizes, the plain horn hilts, the horn one side ivory the other, with plain scabbards or with silver fittings to the leather scabbards and other variations like the full silver with neillo and filagree, what are functional weapons and what are for dress only or what are both.

What does this style of blade and fullering indicate at first glance Ariel? Any age factors to the blade gained from the photos at hand?

regards

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 19th May 2008 at 04:48 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote