View Single Post
Old 29th December 2020, 12:48 AM   #15
Jerseyman

I agree with urbanspaceman - I would categorize this as a court sword or a diplomatic service sword.

No disrespect intended, but I would say that whilst this is obviously a genuine item I do think it's a munitions-grade version. I would point to the relatively crude finish on the quillons, the hilt, the ricasso block, the misaligned sharp edges, the lack of beveling, the thickness of the branches/pas d'anes.

The plain triangular blade also reinforces that impression. I've seen them a number of times, but always on the lower grade of hilts. My belief is that they required less time and expertise to manufacture and were therefore cheaper.

If you search the internet for steel-hilt small sword you will see images of other versions of these and be able to compare those with a more refined finish.

My opinion is that this piece was made when manufacturing processes were becoming increasingly industrialised and standardised. Look at the chain - I would suggest that each piece was stamped out and marked by machine, rather than handmade. Expensive items continued to be handmade, or at least hand finished, whilst cheaper items for the lower end of the market used less time-intensive methods of production.

Just my opinion.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote