Thread: rapier
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspaceman
Two things:
first I am almost finished my book on the history of the Shotley Bridge swordmakers; I will keep you posted.
Second, I know some of you chaps are knowledgeable with regard to swept hilt rapiers;
can anyone identify these markings for me please.
A nice swept hilt of late 16th early 17th, and seems of course hilted in Italian/Spanish style (the depression in grip held a bar to hold wire wrap).
As far as I can tell, the blade 'inscription' is an assembly of the letters from 'SAHAGUM' (the Spanish maker and place name) interspersed with known marks and styled letters of other inscriptions.

The geometric device or sigil inside the shield is stylized type of markings well known in S. Germany, particularly Munich and Passau. There are numerous examples of the devices with the arms in various positions and configuration.
While a specific match is at this point unlikely, it seems armourers adopted variations of these without particular assignment or registration.
Though markings compendiums often are aligned with a certain maker, these are presumably associations taken from identified weapon examples.
Armourers provided not just one type of weapon, but often whatever was needed.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote