View Single Post
Old 19th December 2020, 04:46 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Bryce,
There seem to have been a number of variations in blades in the original 27 sabers for the 10th Hussar group made in 1807 for the Prince of Wales to present to his officers, and according to the amazing research by Richard Dellar, these were indeed German blades.

My example of 10th Hussar, in keeping with the 'historic' condition of many of my swords (deplorable by most collector standards) is in rough shape, and it appears someone tried to restore the grip. I got this about 1979, but back then not much was known about these except perhaps by Geoff Worrall. Claude Blair and J.P.Puype wrote on them but I dont think it was until later in the 80s.

In talks with Richard Dellar we agreed this 'could' be one of the original 27 as it seems like a Solingen blade with 'hollowed' face. As it seems to have been in somewhat 'relic' condition, and the blade has lost any evidence of the kind of occult motif (as seen on yours). I was under the impression that the Prince had a number of German blades from his earlier sabers which he had Prosser use to create these unique sabers.

I have a hard time (as most seem to) delineating makers from cutlers.
Cutlers I have always thought were 'assemblers' of swords but used blades from 'makers'. It seems by 1816, Prosser was using Runkel blades, which seems logical as Runkel had been a supplier in London of German blades for some time. He was not a maker but typically signed his name on them.
I see Prosser listed among the names of others who did make blades, but it would seem this was mostly as 'suppliers' of swords fully mounted.

It seems to have been a long standing practice in England to bring in unfinished blades from Germany and grind and polish them prior to mounting. Most cutlers had engravers to decorate the blades in accord with the cutlers designs. As many cutlers also had other professions, especially as jewellers, many probably engraved their own.

I see what you mean on these notably flat blades being later in the first quarter 19th c. but it is truly a puzzle on where they came from. The established makers in England would not have produced a flat unfullered blade, nor would Solingen, so I suppose it would be feasible that cutlers might have found metalworkers that might have forged them.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote