View Single Post
Old 18th December 2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice example (especially so to see the hanging straps still on the scabbard rings) and most definitely an officers M1796 from early 19th c.
I have one of these not often seen sabers which I acquired in London in the 70s, and is not nearly in as nice condition.

The 'stepped' back has always suggested Indian influence (this feature often seen on Indian tulwars of latter 18th c.) so I have been inclined to think of these as being for East India Co. officers.
East India company officers were supplied by certain outfitters usually in London and the blades were typically from Solingen.

The 10th Hussars had unique sabers which were in a small number ordered in 1810, and these blades, Solingen blade which had the distinct 'step'.

Wilkinson (1967, "Swords and Daggers") had one of these shown and noted the curious 'beak' . Pic attached.

While the 1796 patterns for officers had of course basic similarity to troopers sabers, the quality, variation and profoundly the fish skin grips were indicators.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 18th December 2020 at 06:23 PM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote