Thread: MASAĻ DAGGER
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Interested Party

Interesting. Its a very different blade than I have seen in contempoary use with the northern parts of the tribe's range. The shape suggests a very different kind of swordsmanship than the ones I saw (a double edged blade that slightly widens towards the tip with a short point almost in the shape of a Calabi triangle and leather scabbard). The point change could be due to fairly strict government regulation of weapons in some areas, but I don't think the example shown would butcher a cow quite as well. This one's overall appearance as is, is shaped like maybe it is carried in the hand. Sword cane or cattle prod? Or does it get a wrap on the scabbard that would attach it to the wearer or help it be retained by sash?

What is the length of the blade? Do you know the name of this example? There didn't seem to be a specific name for Maasai blades when spoken about in mixed ethnic groups. All big blades were simply called pangas, but terms tended to be simplified so everyone would understand (4-5 different first languages in a group of any size. Their range is a giant mish mash of distinct cultures).

Sorry I don't have any answers for you GP, only more questions. My one useful comment is I was told that in some areas new blades were still being produced from leaf springs. From what I remember most blades I saw were factory made with fake U.K. markings as a sign of quality. Kinda how a running wolf, or gurda marking was used in the 19th century.

Last edited by Interested Party; 10th June 2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: illiterate
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote