View Single Post
Old 28th October 2019, 09:54 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While I am certainly no authority on American Indian weapons or items, I am really glad to see them brought up here for discussion. From all I can find, the diagonal geometrics and general design of the scabbard here does correspond to Plains tribes and of the Sioux spectrum of associated tribes.
The Assiniboine are a Siouxan inclusion (known also as Nakota) and similar designs found in their material culture.

The handle appears to be a badger jaw bone, which seems to have been used in these smaller knives. The bead work appears to be the smaller type which came into Indian trade from Czechoslavakia in latter 19th c. but the colors are unusual, and seem particularly vibrant.

The blade seems of course typical of knives present in these times worn as belt knives for utility usually, skinning etc. Contrary to popular belief, the knife was never a primary weapon, nor favored means of fighting for Indian warriors.

The fact that the back of the scabbard remains wood and uncovered by beading, the apparent aging of it and the jawbone suggests it is quite probably a genuinely worn weapon...but again, that is my assumption based on visual assessment from these photos. There are of course considerable cases of spurious items out there, but it sure looks like real deal.

Great knife with wonderful character!!! Wish we would see more of these American Indian items here.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote