View Single Post
Old 4th July 2015, 07:58 PM   #160
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Found it, the titles not quite as grandiose as Cameron Stones, but its getting there!

"The World Encyclopaedia of Swords & Sabres, An Authoritative History & Visual Directory of Edged Weapons from Around the World."

Including 800 stunning colour pictures...

Sounds good!

Some of the items feature in another book by the same author with a different tile as I recall, from browsing in a second hand bookshop.

Here 3 items featured in it in it, I could select many more...

Oops!!!
Well, that's what Im talking about though. While the Kenyan seme' is a properly identified item , the first item, which is clearly a sabre from Mali but referred to as a Hausa 'takouba' (????) from Nigeria is a 'howler' ...yikes!
The item from 'Malaysia' of course would be difficult to explain under that heading (no pun intended) .
Thank you for elaborating on the infractions noted in the reference to Mr. Withers book(s) specifically.

As mentioned, Stone has a number of almost bizarre gaffs as well, but overall stands as a well venerated and respected volume, so I suppose a certain number of these becomes forgivable considering the relative content which holds true.

Regarding the crown, true, this example which is simply stamped into lead might well be construed to other rulers in the British monarchy. The Georgian crown on gun locks for example could well be considered also.
In my own thought, I would regard this crown simply stamped without other context as Victorian if for no other reason than the extremely long and significant period her reign covered (1837-1901).
In the British Empire, reference to her monarchy as 'the Crown' became almost a standard in my view, and a simple crown without other context would attest to property in that case.

While obviously this subjective view does not adequately identify this particular crown as 'Victorian' but explains my tendency to the thought that it probably is.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote