View Single Post
Old 5th December 2023, 12:49 AM   #29
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I didnt take it that you were, but wanted to explain the perspective often taken by many in regard to hunting swords. Actually I figured you already knew the true character of them, but were describing your earlier thoughts. I often look at swords I have had for over 40 years and recall what I thought they were.....worlds from what decades of research revealed....some more amazing than thought, some disappointingly far from what I hoped.

I have long wanted to describe some of the detail I have found over the years on these swords, and what these mysterious and intriguing weapons were really all about, so this was a perfect opportunity. It is a most esoteric area of collecting, which truly makes it all the more interesting, IMO.

Most of these weapons were as you note, with pretty solid blades so could be used effectively.The examples described by Dean as 'degenerate court swords' were pretty flamboyant, not these heavy bladed types. Many 'hunting hangers' were used militarily, as well as cutlasses on many vessels.
Its mostly a matter of the character of each individual weapon, rather than a generalized observation of the genre as a whole.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote