View Single Post
Old 15th September 2023, 01:05 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are great examples!

I think it would be hard to follow a distinct 'pattern' or style as far as restoring a grip and pommel on a kaskara without the actual original assembly present in at least some degree. In the Sudan, these often heirloom blades circulated for many generations and were often remounted as hilts deteriorated or perhaps the weapon changed hands.

As typically the case, the workers mounting these swords had varying conventions on the assembly and materials for the hilts, and there were numerous variables factored in. While a basic style of course existed in its simplicity, it seems possible, if not likely, certain regions might use particular materials based on availability or perhaps even local favor. Without set regulation or consistency, the obvious goal was pragmatic in a hilt which functioned well in handling of the sword.

Certain regions such as Darfur, had the post Mahdiyya styling using embossed silver and the totemic crocodile hide segments, with filagree discoid pommels.

The example shown here with brass cross guard is clearly a Mahdiyya period kaskara, and the acid etched thuluth in most unusual panels and arrangements, a most intriguing example!

I very much agree with Ed (post #4), the blade here is likely from a Darfur oriented context, as these areas seem the most consistent with European 'astral' themed blades. It probably became a victim of being altered to approximate a crusaders sword, as described by Oakeshott where, 'many kaskaras fell victim to this endeavor'.

These blades seem to have come into Sudan in 19th century from blades in Germany and Eastern Europe, probably during the presence of Gordon and von Slatin there just prior to the Mahdiyya, when von Slatin was appointed to Darfur.

In my post #2, examples 3 and 4 are both in my opinion from Darfur regions, and the crocodile covered one is with this same type blade. Clearly the mounting in crocodile is an anomaly which was consistent with slaving factions operating in southern Darfur late in 19th c.

As Ed has suggested, it is probably best to stay with the simpler strip leather wrapped grip with leather wrapped disc pommel as seen in variation with the examples shown. It is entirely feasible that these blades remained circulating in Sudan post Omdurman, and might have been mounted there in this manner in the years following in the Anglo-Egyptian Condominium.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th September 2023 at 01:27 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote