Thread: any ideas ?????
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2023, 03:56 PM   #6
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default no way Arabian !!

Hi 10th Royal, no offence meant but you are really barking up the wrong tree on this one , what you show here is an Omani sword Sayf or Saif, perhaps called by some a Katara but I am not even sure that Katara the correct name for them having always understood they are a Sayf or saif.
They are dancing swords used by Omani Arab people, they have thin flexible or semi flexible double edged blades, there is a whole post dedicated to them here on the forum if you need help identifying yours.

This sword is single edged sword with no flex to the blade and round sectional hilt and mounts, the spine is also much thicker than you will not find on any any Omani Saif, and I have had a few old ones in the past.

The origin is quite clear here, south east Asia and likely Thailand as I suspect and the Khmer border regions of that country or 19thc Cambodia, the blade length is typical of the region for dha and daab, but what is not is the straight blade and the hand and a half hand hilt, that is a very unusual trait for dha or daab.
There is a type of royal sword from Thailand which is called a Phrha Kan which is the Thai name used for a double edged Thai royal sword, in Khmer - Cambodian it is called ''Preah Khan Reach'', and although the hilt on my sword is in typical round section with typical and obvious lotus form pommel it would not be a Phra Kan as it has a single edge.

I think this twinned pair are for the south east Asian interest guys who maybe able to help with it, having had many Thai swords and Few Cambodian Dav in my time I have never seen anything like this, and I might add neither have any of the Thai collectors I know.
It is a mystery, one that has taken me over a year or research and still I have found nothing like it, not in the west or in south east Asian historical records either.
more pics here, forgot to add when i first posted that the sword has a twin which has not been cleaned up yet, that one does not have a forge weld edge repair though.
I have included a pic of an old Cambodian sword with the same type hilt and double edged blade, which is much older at around 13th to 15thc, I wonder if the style did not continue and I have been lucky enough to find a fighting pair ??.
They came with 2 very unusual large knives from the same region, I may show them later when cleaned, but for now I am making 2 scabbards for these with lacquered wood as is traditional and would go with the hilt, more to keep em safe than anything else. Snody
Attached Images

Last edited by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass; 25th May 2023 at 04:01 PM. Reason: mistake